WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected. Everyone reacts different to various foods. Check your blood sugar readings so you will know whether or not a recipe works for you! And feel free to take a recipe and adjust it to suit your needs.

Friday, September 25, 2026

EASY CHICKEN POT PIE

2 tbsp olive oil

1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces

1 1/4 cups chicken broth

1/4 cup whole-wheat or your favorite low-carb flour

1 tbsp Dijon mustard

1 onion, finely chopped

1 red bell pepper, chopped

1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed

1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough, thawed

Heat oven to 400-degrees.

In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoonful of the oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes; flip. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pan juices. Transfer chicken to a 2-quart baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.

In a bowl, mix the reserved pan juices, broth, flour, mustard and 1/4 teaspoon salt. In a skillet over medium heat, heat remaining tablespoon of oil and add vegetables. Cook 5 minutes then add broth and cook another 3 minutes. Stir into the chicken.

Roll out puff pastry to 1-inch larger than top of baking dish. Place dough over the filling, trim. Bake until golden, about 30 minutes. Allow to stand 15 minutes before serving.

Yield: 12-15 servings Per serving (15): 390 calories 20g protein, 30g carbs, 500mg sodium, fat 18g (6g sat) Note: reduce sodium by using low-sodium chicken broth.

recipe idea and photo First for women 2022


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.