WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Saturday, August 5, 2017

MARINATED ONIONS AND MUSHROOMS

1 lb button mushrooms, cleaned, washed, cut in half lengthwise
1 medium sweet or red onion, cut in half lengthwise, sliced thin
1/4 cup vinegar (I prefer white)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
2 tbsp Splenda Granulated
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

In a medium saucepan place the mushrooms and add enough water to cover.  Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium-low, simmer 20 minutes; drain and allow to cool to room temperature.

Into a glass bowl or other glass container that has a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, oil, Splenda, oregano, salt and pepper; mix together well.  Add the onion and mushrooms, stir to combine.  Place lid on container and refrigerate for at least two hours up to a week.

Note: Mushrooms are healthy for a diabetic's diet.  This recipe is also tasty for the whole gang, diabetic or not!

Note: File Photo