WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Monday, June 26, 2017

PEPPERED TENDERLOIN ROAST

1 (3 to 4 lb) beef tenderloin, trimmed
5 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp olive or canola oil
1 1/4 cups beef stock/broth

In a small bowl, combine garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper.  Rub this spice mix over the tenderloin; wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate tenderloin for at least 4 up to 48 hours.

To prepare roast:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees while roast stands at room temperature.

Heat the olive or canola oil in a large Dutch oven for 4 to 5 minutes per side.  Place a meat rack in the Dutch oven and place the tenderloin on the rack.

Bake the tenderloin, uncovered, for approximately 15 minutes per pound.  Meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the tenderloin should read 135 degrees for rare or 155 degrees for medium.  Remove from the oven and let set while the temperature rises another 5 degrees.  Then allow to stand for 15 minutes before slicing.

Stir the beef stock or broth into the pan drippings and cook until reduced to about 3/4 cup.  Strain into a serving bowl or gravy boat and serve with the tenderloin.

Note: File Photo