WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

APPLE DUMPLINGS

2 cups self-rising flour*

1/2 cup shortening
3/4 cup low-fat milk
5 cups chopped apples
1 cup Equal Sugar-Lite or Splenda Blend
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut flour into shortening as if making a pie crust. Add milk. Make into a dough and roll out into a rectangle. Add Equal and cinnamon to apples and mix together. Spread apple mixture over dough. Roll up jelly-roll style and cut into slices. Place into a baking pan and pour sauce over all. Bake 1 hour.

To make sauce: Bring to boiling:

2/3 cup butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup Splenda and 1 1/2 cups boiling water

NOTE: The sauce in this recipe uses 1/2 cup sugar. You can substitute 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce or go with the sugar if you don't like the applesauce results. But be aware of this when fitting this recipe into your diet!

* I recommend using 2 cups white whole-wheat flour and adding 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt. I recommend that diabetics never use refined white flour.

Note: File Photo