WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Saturday, April 8, 2017

WARM FIESTA BEAN DIP

1 lb lean ground beef

1 can petite cut diced tomatoes with jalapenos
1 can refried beans
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 cup drained whole kernel corn or thawed frozen corn
1 can petite cut diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
Tortilla chips for serving

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly spray a 2 1/2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

In a skillet, brown the ground beef, stirring to crumble; drain off any excess fat.
Add the diced tomatoes with jalapenos, refried beans, and chili powder; cook, stirring until heated through. Spoon the mixture into the prepared baking dish. On top of the hot mixture, layer the corn, diced tomatoes, and cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes or so until hot and the cheese is melted.

Serve warm with the tortilla chips, or for severe diabetics who don't want to use the regular chips, use bean chips. Bean chips are sold as Beanito's in large grocery stores or specialty grocers.
Note: This is a file photo.