WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

SAND TARTS

1 cup butter, softened 

1/4 cup Splenda, granulated
1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup white whole-wheat flour
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tbsp Splenda, granulated
2 tsp cornstarch

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat butter and 1/4 cup Splenda granulated at medium speed with electric mixer about 2 minutes until creamy. Gradually add flour, beating at low speed until blended. Stir in vanilla and pecans. Shape into 1-inch balls and place onto cookie sheets. Bake 20 minutes; remove from oven and place on wire racks to cool.

To make a diabetic or "fake" powdered sugar from Splenda:
Process 2 tablespoons cornstarch  and 3/4 cup Splenda granular in a blender or food processor until it is the texture of powdered sugar. Roll cookie balls in mixture. 


Note: File Photo