WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, January 20, 2017

MOCHA NUT COOKIES

1  pkg (12-oz) sugar-free chocolate chips, divided
2 tbsp instant coffee granules
2 tsp boiling water
1 cups white whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup Splenda Granulated
1/4 cup firmly packed Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped walnuts*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a small microwave-proof bowl, microwave 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips, stirring every 15 seconds until melted and smooth. Cool to room temperature.

In a small cup, dissolve coffee granules in the boiling water; set aside.

In a small bowl, combine the flours, baking soda and salt; set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the butter, coconut oil, Splenda, Splenda brown sugar and coffee; beat until creamy. Add the egg and the melted chocolate; mix well. Gradually add the flour mixture. Stir in the remaining chocolate chips and walnuts.

Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased or parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Allow to stand 2-3 minutes before removing from the cookie sheets to wire racks to cool completely.

*Substitute pecans, if you prefer.

Yield: 2 dozen