WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Thursday, December 15, 2016

QUICK TURKEY AND NOODLES

2 cups water

2 cups shredded fully cooked turkey (or chicken)
1 can low-fat cream of chicken soup
1 soup can of water
1 tbsp dry minced onion
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups hot water
2 cups whole-wheat spiral noodles

In a large saucepan or a Dutch oven bring two cups of water and the turkey or chicken to a boil. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, use a whisk to blend the soup and soup can of water until smooth; add to the turkey. Add the spices and stir to blend. Add the hot water and return to a boil. After the soup is boiling, add the noodles, stir well. Lower heat to medium and cook about 8 minutes or until the noodles are soft.


Note: I recently made this as I needed to use some of the Thanksgiving turkey and thought this might work. Isabell, my granddaughter, said, "You should make this again," after her second bowl. I don't taste anything with turkey so I am assuming it was good. I do not recommend eating a lot of pasta for diabetics but this is an okay recipe when you want a good hot home-style meal. Be sure to use low-fat soup and whole-grain noodles.