WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Monday, November 28, 2016

SIMPLE CHICKEN PARMIGIANA

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup fine dry whole-grain bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 large egg, beaten
2 tbsp olive oil
2/3 cup low-sugar or sugar-free spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Place chicken breasts between 2 pieces of waxed paper or plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, gently pound the meat to a thickness of about 1/4-inch.

In a medium bowl, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and parsley; mix together well. Dip chicken breasts in the beaten egg then coat with the bread crumb mixture.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil until hot over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until tender and cooked through (juices run clear). Turn once during cooking to brown both sides.

Meanwhile, heat the sauce.

Sprinkle the chicken with the mozzarella cheese; cover skillet to allow cheese to melt.

Serve the heated sauce with the chicken.

Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: 360 calories, 14 g carbs, 37 g protein

Note: File Photo of this recipe.