WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

BISCUIT WEDGES

Even we diabetics like a good biscuit from time to time. This recipe is okay for us once in awhile. I would not recommend eating everyday.

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole-wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp Splenda Granular
3/4 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup nonfat buttermilk

Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda and Splenda in a mixing bowl and stir to blend. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Turn the dough out on a floured surface. Knead 8 to 10 times.

Divide dough into thirds and gently shape each third into a ball. Place balls 2-inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Flatten each into a 1-inch thick circle and score each into 4 wedges.

Bake at 400 degrees 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.  Separate into wedges. Best served warm.

Yield: 12 servings