WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Monday, August 17, 2015

TUNA, BARLEY, AND BLACK BEAN SALAD

Salad:
1 cup quick cooking pearled barley
2 cups water
1 can (16-oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small red bell pepper, chopped fine
2 cups Romaine lettuce, sliced thin
1 can (6 1/2-oz) chunk light tuna, drained

Cook barley in water as directed on the box; cool, stirring occasionally.

Dressing:
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp white vinegar
2 tsp fresh peeled ginger, grated
2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 tsp minced garlic

Whisk all ingredients in a large bowl until well blended.

All salad ingredients to dressing and toss to coat.