WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

LENTIL-CHICKPEA CHILI

6 cups vegetable broth
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 tsp salt
1 lb red lentils
1 can diced tomatoes
1 sweet onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

In a slow cooker, whisk together the broth, tomato paste, mustard, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and salt; stir in the lentils, tomatoes, onion, carrot, celery, garlic and bay leaves.

Place lid on cooker and cook for 8 hours on low.

Stir in the chickpeas and cilantro.

Yield: 8 servings
Per serving: 341 calories, 3 g (0 sat) fat, 57 g carbs, 15 g fiber, 22 g protein

Note: The carbs may seem high but they are healthy carbs and the carbs to protein ratio are perfect for diabetics.


Source: My version of an old Family Circle recipe. Picture is a file photo.