WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, August 7, 2015

CHICKEN AND BLACK BEAN SOUP

1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
2 cans (14-15 oz each) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
2 cups frozen corn
1 can (15-oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (10-oz) diced tomatoes and green chilies, do not drain
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
3 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp cornstarch
12 - 18 tortilla chips (used baked), for garnish
Shredded reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese, for garnish

Spray a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. When hot, add the chicken and cook, stirring, until no longer pink in the center (approximately 5 minutes).

Remove and reserve two tablespoons of the broth and add remaining to the pan with the chicken. Stir in the corn, beans, tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, chili powder and ground cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.

Mix the cornstarch into the reserved broth until smooth; gradually stir mixture into the soup. Return to a boil while cooking and stirring for a couple of minutes or until thickened.

To serve, ladle into bowl and top with broken up chips and cheese.

Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: 194 calories, 29 g carbs, 17 g protein
Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch and 2 lean meat