WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

SPICY BEAN SOUP

1 cup dried pinto beans, washed, covered with water and soaked at least 2 hours (preferably overnight)
5 cups cold water
1/2 tsp salt
3 slices bacon, diced
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 large ripe tomato, peeled, seeded, diced
3 1/2 cups low-fat chicken broth
1 tsp Tabasco sauce
2 tbsp uncooked whole-wheat elbow macaroni
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Drain beans and rinse in a colander under running water; place in a Dutch oven.

Add the cold water and salt to the beans and heat to boiling; lower heat, cover and simmer for 2-3 hours until beans are tender.

Combine 1 cup of the cooked beans with 1 cup of their liquid in a blender container or a food processor; process until smooth and set aside.

Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy. Drain off drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon.

Add the onion and garlic to the bacon and reserved drippings and saute until tender; add the tomato and cook another minute. Transfer mixture to the Dutch oven with the remaining beans and liquid. Add the chicken broth and Tabasco sauce; bring to a boil

Add the macaroni to the Dutch oven; turn down the heat to a slow boil and cook 7 to 10 minutes until macaroni is tender.

Add the cilantro just before serving.

Yield: 8 servings