WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Thursday, June 4, 2015

ORZO, TUNA, TOMATO SALAD

3/4 cup whole-wheat orzo, cooked according to package directions
4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced and arranged on a platter
16 small leaves of fresh basil
1 pouch (11-oz) light tuna in water
1 cup cubed mozzarella cheese
3 tbsp minced fresh basil
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Place the small basil leaves over the tomatoes on the platter.

Drain orzo; rinse with cold water and place in a large mixing bowl. Add the tuna, mozzarella cheese, and minced basil.

In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, and pepper. Drizzle the dressing mixture over the orzo and toss well to combine. Spoon the orzo mixture over the tomatoes.

Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: 392 calories, 15 g (5 sat) fat, 31 g carbs, 7 g fiber, 34 g protein
Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fat, 1 vegetable

Note: This is a file photo

Note: My version of a recipe I saw in an old TOH.