WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Thursday, June 4, 2015

APPLE TART

6 medium apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1 cup Splenda Granulated
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Sugar-free pastry for 2-crust pie

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Place apple slices on a rimmed baking sheet and bake 10 minutes.

Place warmed apples in a large bowl then add Splenda and cornstarch; mix well. Refrigerate mixture 5 to 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, line a shallow 9-inch pie plate with pastry, pressing crust firmly against plate. Pour apple mixture into pie crust then place remaining pie crust over top. Trim and pinch edges together to seal. Cut four 1-inch air vents in top crust.

Increase oven temperature to 400 degree F. Bake pie 30 to 35 minutes, or until crust is golden. 

Serve warm with sugar-free vanilla ice cream, if desired.

Note: File Photo