WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, May 29, 2015

SPICY CAJUN SALSA BURGERS

1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Creole seasoning
1/2 cup your favorite low-sugar or sugar-free salsa
1 lb lean ground beef
4 whole-grain sandwich thins (Or kaiser rolls, split and toasted)

Combine the spices, Creole seasoning and salsa in a large bowl. Crumble and add ground beef; mix together lightly but thoroughly. Shape mixture into 4 equal-size patties.

Grill the burgers, covered, over medium heat or may be broiled 4-inch from heat for approximately 5 minutes per side (or until desired doneness). Note: To be considered healthy burgers should reach a temperature of at least 160 degrees on a meat thermometer.

Serve on the sandwich thins or kaiser rolls. Personal note: The sandwich thins are better for you, however, the following nutritional information is based on the kaiser rolls and it does fall within diabetic carb/protein ratios.

Yield: 4 burgers
Per burger: 418 calories, 18 g fat (6 g sat), 86 mg cholesterol, 672 mg sodium, 33 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 30 g protein


Sources: This is a TOH picture. The recipe is my version of a recipe by David Dalton of Orleans, IN, another Southern Indiana Hoosier.