WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

ORZO SALAD

2 1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta (about 1 lb)
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained (or garbanzo beans)
3 medium-size tomatoes, finely chopped
1 English cucumber, finely chpped (or 1 zucchini, finely chopped)
2 cups crumbled feta cheese
1 1/4 cups pitted Greek olives, chopped
1 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped fine
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped fine
1 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
1/2 medium-size red onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp grated lemon peel
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Cook the orzo according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. Drain again.

In a large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients. Stir in the orzo and refrigerate until serving time.

Yield: Serves 8.
Per serving: 411 calories, 17 g (4 g sat) fat, 51 g carb, 13 g fiber, 14 g protein

Source: This is my diabetic version of an old recipe from TOH.