WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

KALE AND WHITE BEAN SOUP

1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
4 cups chopped kale
1 can (approx 16-oz) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5-oz) diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
1 cup small whole-grain croutons
salt and pepper to taste
grated Parmesan cheese for garnish, optional

In a large saucepan, heat the oil to hot; add the carrot, celery and onion. Cook veggies over medium-high heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Add the chicken broth, kale, beans, and undrained tomatoes to the veggies. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to simmer. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring twice. Season with salt and pepper.

To serve, place in serving bowls and garnish with croutons and Parmesan, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings


Note: This is my diabetic version of a BH&G recipe.