WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Sunday, March 1, 2015

OLD FASHIONED COWBOY BEANS

You will notice I post a lot of bean recipes on this blog. There is a good reason for that. Beans, especially pinto, should be an important part of a diabetic's diet. They are one of the best ways to keep your blood sugar under control.

1 pound dried pinto beans
1/4 pound salt pork*
1 teaspoon salt
1 onion, diced
14 1/2 ounces can whole tomatoes, chopped
3 tablespoons chili powder
Jalapeno pepper slices for garnish, optional
Pick beans clean and wash. Place in a large pot (at least 4 quarts). Cover with water and soak overnight. 
 
When ready to cook, drain beans and add fresh water to cover 1 inch above beans. 
 
Add salt pork and salt. Boil for 30 minutes. 
 
Add onions, tomatoes and chili powder and continue boiling for 2 to 3 hours or until the beans are tender. 
 
Add additional water as needed.

*I usually use about 1/2 pound lean cubed ham as I believe it is a healthier option.