WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

SOUTHWEST-STYLE COWBOY BEANS

2 1/2 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed and soaked overnight
4 quarts water
1 medium onion, quartered
1 tbsp salt
1 lb ground beef
1/2 lb chorizo or bulk breakfast sausage, casing removed; crumbled
1 small onion, chopped
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can 14 1/2-oz recipe ready diced tomatoes - do not drain
1 can (6-oz) tomato paste
1 pkg (1.25-oz) taco seasoning mix
1 green onion, chopped, for garnish if desired

Place the water, soaked beans, and the onion into a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, partially covered, for 1 1/2 hours or until the beans are tender. Add the salt and cook another half hour.

In a large skillet, combine the ground beef, sausage, bell pepper and garlic; cook, stirring often, until the meat is browned; drain in a colander.

Add the meat mixture, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and taco seasoning to the beans. Cook over medium heat for another half hour, stirring occasionally.

Note: If serving with cornbread, make homemade cornbread with white whole-wheat flour. If you prefer sweet cornbread, substitute Splenda granulated for the sugar in your recipe.

Garnish with the green onion, if desired.

Note: File Photo