WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, December 19, 2014

GREAT START OMELET

This recipe is from Dr. Julian Whitaker whom I sure many of you will recognize from his name or his picture below. He is a well-known health expert.

4 egg whites or 1/2 cup Egg Beaters or other egg white product 
Dash of salt or salt substitute 
Dash of freshly ground black pepper 
1 teaspoon water 
1/2 teaspoon butter or olive oil spray 
1/2 cup fresh veggies of your choice (optional) 
1 tablespoon grated cheese (optional) 

1. In a small bowl, beat egg whites, salt, pepper and water with a fork until well mixed. 

2. If desired, prepare a filling by sautéing ½ cup mushrooms, onions, zucchini, spinach, asparagus, or any combination of vegetables in a nonstick skillet sprayed with olive oil spray. 

3. Heat an 8-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and swirl it around until butter coats bottom of pan (or coat with olive oil spray). Pour eggs into the skillet and slide the skillet back and forth to distribute the eggs over the bottom of the skillet. As eggs begin to set, tilt the skillet and lift edge of omelet, allowing uncooked eggs on top to slide underneath. When omelet is set, let stand over the heat for a few seconds to brown. Slide omelet onto a plate, fill with your favorite prepared filling, top with 1 tablespoon grated cheese (if desired), fold and serve.

Nutritional Info (per serving)
107 calories 
3 grams fat
7 mg cholesterol
558 mg sodium 
4 grams carbs 
1 gram fiber
17 grams protein