WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

MAPLE-FLAVORED CHICKEN BREASTS

6 (approx 6-oz each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp sugar-free maple-flavored syrup
1 tbsp butter, melted

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Spray a baking sheet with sides with nonstick cooking spray.

Place chicken on the prepared baking sheet and brush with the canola oil.

In a medium-size bowl combine the paprika, salt, cinnamon, cumin, tarragon, and pepper; mix together well.
Coat the chicken well with the spice mixture.

Bake chicken at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.

In a small bowl combine the syrup and butter; brush half the mixture over the chicken and bake another 5 minutes.

Turn chicken and brush with the remaining syrup mixture. Bake another 5 - 10 minutes until the juices run clear when chicken is pierced.