WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Whole Wheat Waffles

  • 1 1/2 cups White Whole Wheat Flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons Splenda granulated
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 cups lukewarm low-fat milk
  • 1/3 cup coconut or canola oil

Preheat your iron while you make the waffle batter.
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and Splenda.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and butter or oil.
Mix together the wet and dry ingredients, stirring just until combined. The batter will be a bit lumpy; that's OK.
Cook the waffles as directed in the instructions that came with your waffle iron.
Serve with fresh fruit and/or sugar-free maple-flavored syrup.
Yield: 3 1/2 round Belgian-style (deep-pocket) 7" waffles.

Note: I suggest eating a couple strips of bacon with a waffle to add additional protein to this recipe.