WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Thursday, June 12, 2014

SMOKEY ALMOND-SPINACH DIP

I received this recipe from Kraft Foods and since I love spinach and try to eat almonds on a regular basis it was perfect for me. I think this is a dip most diabetics can enjoy. As with all foods, enjoy this dip in moderation and with the whole-grain crackers or fresh veggies of your choice.


1
pkg.  (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained

4
oz.  (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) PHILADELPHIA Neufchatel Cheese, softened

1/3
cup  chopped PLANTERS Smoked Almonds

2
cloves  garlic, minced

1
Tbsp.  GREY POUPON Dijon Mustard

1/2
tsp.  black pepper

2
tsp.  KRAFT Grated Parmesan Cheese

 Reduced-fat thin wheat snack crackers (see note above about crackers)

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Mix all ingredients except Parmesan cheese and crackers until well blended.
SPOON into 9-inch pie plate; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
BAKE 15 minutes. Serve with thin wheat snack crackers or cut-up fresh vegetables.
Variation: Use as a filling for mushroom caps. Remove stems from 24 medium button mushrooms; place, hollowed sides up, on baking sheet. Spoon 1 Tbsp. of the dip into each mushroom cap; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake at 350°F for 12 to 15 minutes or until heated through. Makes 12 servings, 2 mushroom caps each.