WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

DEEP DISH PEACH PIE

Pastry for a 1-crust pie
1 cup + 1 tbsp Splenda granulated
2 tbsp cornstarch
3 lbs (= to 6 cups prepared)  fresh peaches, seeded, pared, and sliced
2 tbsp ReaLemon
2 tbsp butter, melted
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 egg yolk + 2 tbsp water
2 tbsp sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 375.

In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of the Splenda and the cornstarch.

In a large bowl, toss the peaches with the ReaLemon; add the sugar mixture, butter, and almond extract. Pour the mixture into an 8-inch square baking pan or dish.

Roll the pastry to a 9-inch square; cut slits near center. Place the pastry over the filling; turn under edges, seal and flute.

Mix the egg yolk and water; brush over surface of the pastry. Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of Splenda and the almonds.

Bake pie at 375 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown.