WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Monday, January 27, 2014

SOUTHWEST BARLEY STEW

1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 large garlic clove, minced
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 quarts beef or chicken broth
2 cans (14.5-oz each) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 cup medium pearl barley
1 cup lentils
1 can (4-oz) chopped green chilies
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

In a Dutch oven or soup pot, saute the onion, celery, and garlic in the oil until tender.  Add the remaining ingredients and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the barley is tender. Stir occasionally during cooking.


Yield: Approximately 3 quarts

Note: This recipe is from the National Barley Food Council