WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Monday, January 20, 2014

PUMPKIN PECAN CRUNCH BARS

  • 1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin
  • 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup Splenda Granulated
  • 1/3 cup firmly packed Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
  • 6 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, divided
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 package (18 1/4 ounces) sugar-free yellow cake mix
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup canola or coconut oil
  • Whipped cream for garnish (optional)
  • Spiced Pecans for garnish (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with nonstick baking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, mix the pumpkin, milk, eggs, both Splenda products, 5 teaspoons of the pumpkin pie spice, vanilla extract, and salt until well blended. (I prefer doing this with a wire whisk.) Pour mixture into the prepared baking pan.

In a medium bowl, using a wire whisk, mix the cake mix with the remaining pie spice mix; sprinkle evenly over the pumpkin mixture in the pan.  Sprinkle the chopped pecans over all.

Melt the butter and mix with the oil; drizzle over the pecans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until golden brown.

Garnish with whipped cream and/or spiced pecans, if desired.


Note: This is my diabetic version of a McCormick® recipe I got from my grocery store.