Note: I got this side dish recipe from one of the diabetic groups I belong to. I like it even better when I omit the raisins (I don't like them) and substitute some coarsely chopped pecans.
- 12-ounce package broccoli slaw mix (about 5 cups)
- 1 medium apple, cut into matchstick-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup dark raisins
- 1/3 cup roasted salted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons nonfat or light mayonnaise*
- 1 tablespoon sugar substitute
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Combine the broccoli, apple, raisins, and sunflower seeds in a large bowl, and toss to mix well.
- Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and stir to mix well. Add the dressing to the broccoli mixture and toss to mix well. Add a little more mayonnaise if the salad seems too dry.
- Cover the salad and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
*I use olive oil mayonnaise.