WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Thursday, December 26, 2013

BARLEY AND GREENS SKILLET CASSEROLE

1 cup water
3/4 cup quick-cooking barley
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach OR Swiss chard
1 cup rinsed and drained canned navy beans
1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp Italian-seasoned dry bread crumbs

Preheat broiler.

Bring water to boil in a large ovenproof skillet; add the barley, bell peppers, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes; reduce heat and cover tightly.  Simmer 10 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.

Stir in the greens, beans, tomatoes, bail, and olive oil.

Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly over the top.  Broil, uncovered, for 2 minutes or until golden brown.

Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: (With Swiss Chard) calories 288, fat 6g (less than 1g saturated), protein 10g, carbs 45g, fiber 12g, cholesterol 10 mg, sodium 488mg