WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

CARAMELIZED GARLIC KALE

1 1/2 lbs fresh kale, tough stems removed, leaves chopped
2 cups water
1 tbsp olive or coconut oil
8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (or less, if preferred)

In a large saucepan bring the kale and water to a boil over medium-high heat.  Cover and cook until the kale is tender but still bright in color - about 6 to 8 minutes.  Drain well.

While kale is cooking, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until golden brown - be careful not to burn. This will take about 4 minutes.

Add well drained kale to skillet along with the vinegar, salt, and red pepper flakes; stir to mix well before serving.