WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Saturday, August 10, 2013

BANANA-BRAN BREAD WITH WALNUTS

1 cup white whole-wheat flour, sifted before measuring
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted before measuring
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup Splenda Baking Blend
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
4 small fully-ripe bananas
1 cup whole-bran cereal
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Thoroughly grease a 9-inch loaf pan; set aside.

Place the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a sifter and sift over a sheet of waxed paper; set aside.

In large mixer bowl, at high speed, beat the butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla until fluffy and smooth; continue beating until thoroughly combined.  Set mixture aside.

Place the peeled bananas in a medium mixing bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher until all large chunks are broken up (this should yield 1 1/2 cups).  Add bananas to the butter mixture; stir with wooden spoon or silicone spatula until mixed together well.  Add the flour mixture, cereal, and walnuts; beat just until smooth.

Turn mixture into the prepared loaf pan; spread top even with back of spatula.

Bake on the center rack of 350 oven for approximately 1 hour or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Place the bread, in the pan, on a wire rack for 10 minutes.  Remove bread from the pan and allow to cool completely on the wire rack.