WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, July 12, 2013

VEGGIE CASSEROLE

5 medium carrots, sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
1 (10-oz) pkg frozen leaf spinach
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp white whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 cups low-fat milk
1 cup shredded low-fat cheese
1/4 tsp salt
dash of freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup buttered soft whole-grain bread crumbs

Cook the carrots and onion, just covered in water, in a saucepan until almost tender, 8 to 10 minutes; drain well.

Cook the spinach following package directions; drain well.

Melt the butter in a saucepan and blend in the flour using a whisk.  Gradually stir in the milk.  Cook, stirring until thick then remove from heat.  Add the cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring until the cheese melts.

Place half the spinach in an ungreased 1-quart casserole dish.  Cover spinach with half the carrots and half the onions; top with half the cheese sauce.  Repeat the layers and top with the buttered crumbs.

Bake casserole at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes until browned and heated through.

Yield: 6 servings.