WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, June 14, 2013

SPLIT PEA HUMMUS

1 cup dried green split peas
1 garlic clove
3 cups water
1/2 tsp salt, divided
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp ground cumin

Sort peas and rinse.

Bring the water and garlic to boil in a medium saucepan; add the peas.  Return the water to boiling, add lid, reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes.

Stir in the half the salt and continue to cook another 15 minutes or so until tender; drain.

In a food processor, combine the cooked peas, olive oil, lemon juice, cumin, and remaining half of the salt; pulse 5 or 6 times until smooth.  Stop to scrape down the sides as necessary.


Serve at room temperature with fresh vegetables, whole-grain crackers, or pita chips.