WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES

1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour*
1 cup white whole-wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup Splenda Granulated
2 large eggs
1 tbsp molasses
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups raw old-fashioned oats
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a bowl combine the flour, soda, and cinnamon together; set aside.

In a large mixer bowl, beat the butter and Splenda at medium speed until creamy and fluffy.  Add the eggs, molasses, and vanilla extract, beating until blended.  With mixer at low speed, gradually add in the flour mixture while beating at low speed until blended.

Using a large silicone spatula or wooden spoon, stir in the oats and raisins.

Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets.

Bake cookies at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool just slightly on the baking sheets then remove to wire racks to cool completely.

* May substitute an additional 1/2 cup of the white whole-wheat flour but garbanzo bean flour is very good for diabetics.

Note: The molasses contains natural sugar but the amount used is so small per cookie to not matter for most diabetics. The raisins also contain natural sugar. This is a healthy diabetic cookie not a sugar-free cookie.


Yield: 3 dozen cookies