WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

ALMOND CHEESECAKE BARS

Crust:
1 1/4 cups sugar-free vanilla wafer crumbs
1/4 cup Splenda granulated
1/3 cup salt-free butter, melted
1/4 cup toasted almonds, ground fine

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a mixing bowl combine all the above ingredients together then press onto the bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan.

Bake crust 10 to 12 minutes or until firm.

Filling:
12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
1/2 cup Splenda granulated
2 large eggs
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream or plain yogurt
2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1/4 cup toasted, sliced almonds for topping

In a mixer bowl combine the cream cheese and Splenda together, beating until smooth.  Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping sides of bowl and mixing well after each egg.  Add the sour cream (or yogurt), vanilla extract, and almond extract; mix well.  Pour filling over the prepared crust.

Bake at 350 degrees until firm, approximately 40 to 45 minutes.

Top with the toasted almonds.