WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, May 31, 2013

CHICKEN TENDERS

1 1/2 lb chicken breast tenders
1 cup favorite low-sugar barbecue sauce
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp honey (fine for most diabetics)
1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 3/4 cups coarse dry whole-grain bread crumbs
olive oil nonstick cooking spray

In a large mixing bowl combine the barbecue sauce, mustard, and honey; reserve 1/2 cup of the sauce.

Cut in large tenders in half lengthwise; place all chicken in the bowl of sauce to marinate.  Stir to coat, cover and refrigerate for approximately 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Spray a large baking sheet with sides with the cooking spray.

Combine the flour, pepper, and salt in a shallow dish or pie plate.

Beat eggs in a second shallow dish or pie plate.

Place bread crumbs in a third shallow dish or pie plate.

Dip each chicken piece in the flour; shake off excess then dip in egg mixture allowing excess to drip off.  Roll in the bread crumbs.

Place chicken on prepared baking sheet and coat each side thoroughly with the cooking spray.

Bake chicken at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.  Turn and bake another 10 minutes or until crisp and cooked through.


Serve with the reserved sauce.

Note: I believe I got the original idea of this recipe that I have adapted from Joy Bauer.