WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, May 24, 2013

BOWTIE PASTA SALAD

2-oz uncooked whole-wheat bowtie pasta
1 cup canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed & drained
1 cup canned artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, cut into fourths
3/4 cup sliced zucchini, cut into halves
1/4 cup chopped red onion
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
dash of freshly ground black pepper
dash of garlic powder
2 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
Lettuce leaves for serving, optional

Cook the pasta according to the package directions leaving out any salt or butter/oil.  Drain and rinse with cool water; drain again and allow to cool.

In a large bowl combine the cooled pasta, chickpeas, artichoke hearts, zucchini, and onion.

In a small bowl combine the lemon juice, oil, pepper, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning with a small whisk or fork until well blended.  Pour over the pasta mixture and toss to coat.

Before serving, sprinkle the cheese over all.



Serve on lettuce leaves, if desired.

Yield: 6 servings