WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

BARLEY AND CHICKEN SALAD

2/3 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped cooked boneless skinless chicken breast
3/4 cup seedless red grapes, cut in half
2 tbsp toasted chopped walnuts
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley

Cook the barley according to package directions but omit any salt or butter.  Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool to lukewarm.

Combine the cooled barley with the chicken, grapes, and walnuts.

In a small bowl, whisk together the juices, olive oil, salt, and pepper; pour over the barley mixture.  Sprinkle the parsley over all and toss gently.


Note: I got the basis for this recipe from a diabetic magazine a couple of years ago.