WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, April 26, 2013

MUSHROOM-ASPARAGUS QUICHE

1 sugar-free pie pastry
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 1/2 lbs fresh asparagus, cut into pieces
1 medium-size sweet onion, chopped
1/2 lb sliced fresh mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 stick unsalted butter, cut-up
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano

Preheat oven to 350 degree.

Place pie pastry into a deep-dish pie plate and prebake for about 5 minutes.

Remove pie shell from the oven and spread the mustard over the bottom; set aside.

Steam the asparagus until tender; drain well if in water.

Melt the butter in a large skillet and saute the onion, garlic, and mushrooms until tender; add  the asparagus and stir to blend in well.

In a large bowl combine the eggs, cheese, parsley, salt, pepper, basil, and oregano until well blended.  Pour the vegetable mixture into the egg mixture, blending well.

Pour the mixture into the mustard-coated pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes until the eggs are set.


Remove from oven and allow to set for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting to serve.

The idea for this recipe came from Eggland's Best Eggs.