WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, April 19, 2013

HEALTHY BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

1 cup 100% white whole wheat flour
1 cup brown rice flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup honey
2 large eggs
1 cup Splenda granulated
1 tsp butter flavoring
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1 cup fresh blueberries*

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Place paper liners into 12 muffin cups then spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

Sift the flours, baking powder, and salt together; set aside.

In mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the canola oil, flaxseed, honey, and Splenda.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each one.  Stir in the butter flavoring.

Alternately add the flour mixture and the milk, beginning and ending with flour.  Beat with mixer at low speed until blended after each addition.  Fold in the blueberries.

Spoon the batter, evenly, into the 12 muffin cups.  Bake at 400 degrees 20 to 22 minutes or until set and golden brown.  Immediately remove from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack.