WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Sunday, April 21, 2013

CINNAMON SWIRL COFFEECAKE

1 cup cake flour
2 cups 100% white whole-wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1 1/3 cups Splenda Granulated
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cups fat-free sour cream, divided

Filling:
2 tbsp Splenda Brown sugar blend
1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift the flours, baking powder, and baking soda into medium mixing bowl; set aside.

Cream the butter and flaxseed together in a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer.  Add the Splenda Granulated and the eggs.  Add the vanilla and beat briefly.  Add the applesauce and half the sour cream; beat until smooth.

Add the flour mixture to the batter and beat at medium speed just until smooth.  Add the remaining half of the sour cream and beat just until incorporated.  Set batter aside.

Make the filling by combining the Splenda and cinnamon in a small mixing bowl.  Stir in about a fourth of the cake batter, mixing well.

Spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray and place half the remaining batter into the bottom of the pan.  Top with the cinnamon filling mixture and swirl the filling with a knife.  Top with the remaining cake batter.

Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.  Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar, if desired.




To serve, cut cake into 16 equal pieces.