WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, March 8, 2013

COUSCOUS SALAD

1/2 cup water
1/3 cup whole wheat couscous
1 cup shelled frozen edamame, thawed & cooked*
1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 1/2 tsp fresh minced dill
2 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp vegetable broth
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil; gradually stir in the couscous.  Cook 30 seconds.  Place lid on pan, remove from heat, and set aside for 5 minutes.  Uncover; fluff with a fork and allow to cool.

Spoon the couscous into a serving bowl; add edamame, bell pepper, celery, onion, and dill. 

In a cup, combine the vinegar, oil, broth, salt, and pepper until well combined; pour over the salad.  Gently toss well.

If desired, garnish with a small sprig of fresh dill.


NOTE: To cook the edamame, steam until tender - 3 to 4 minutes.

Yield: 3 - 4 servings