WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

TURKEY BREASTS WITH HERB SAUCE

1 pkg (1 1/4 - 1 1/2 lbs) fresh turkey breast slices
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp canola oil

Sprinkle salt over the breast slices; dredge in the flour.

Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the turkey and cook 4 to 6 minutes turning once until the turkey is no longer pink.  Turn heat to lowest setting and keep warm while making sauce.

Sauce:
1 block (8-oz) Neufchatel (light cream) cheese
1/3 low-fat milk
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp grated onion
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

In a saucepan, combine the cheese and milk stirring over low heat until smooth and heated through.  Stir in the garlic, onion, oregano, and pepper.  Serve over the turkey slices.