WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

TACO EGG BAKE FOR A CROWD

This recipe makes 12 servings so make it when you are feeding several.  As a diabetic, do not eat several servings at a setting.  Remember, moderation is the key to your eating lifestyle!

1 lb pork sausage, crumbled, browned, and drained
1 can (4-oz) diced green chiles
1/2 cup water
1 pkt (1 1/4-oz) taco seasoning mix
12 yellow corn taco shells, divided
1 can (15-oz) black beans, rinsed & drained
2 cups shredded taco blend cheese
10 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup salsa, heat to suit your taste
1 cup fat-free milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the sausage, chiles, water, and taco seasoning mix together; set aside.

Coarsely crush 10 of the taco shells and spread over the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or casserole dish.  Sprinkle the beans evenly over the crushed shells.  Spread the sausage mixture evenly over the beans.  Sprinkle the cheese overall.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the eggs, salsa, and milk; pour over the ingredients in the casserole dish.  Crush the two remaining taco shells coarsely and sprinkle evenly overall.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.


Note: This makes a great brunch dish served with a green salad and fresh fruit.