WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

PHYLLO FRUIT TART

1 tbsp butter, melted
1 tbsp canola oil
8 sheets phyllo dough
1 brick (8-oz) fat-free cream cheese, softened
3 tbsp powdered sugar
1 cup reduced-fat frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 can (11-oz) mandarin oranges, rinsed & drained
4 kiwi, peeled and sliced
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1 oz white baking chocolate, melted

In a small bowl combine the butter and oil.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Place 1 sheet of the phyllo on work surface; brush evenly with the butter/oil mixture.  Repeat with the remaining sheets, brushing and stacking on top of each other.  Keep sheets not yet used covered with waxed paper to keep from drying out.  Place on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on a wire rack.

In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar until smooth; fold in the whipped topping.  Gently spread the mixture evenly over the cooled phyllo.  Arrange the oranges, kiwi, and strawberries over the cream cheese mixture.  Drizzle the melted white chocolate over the fruit.


Yield: 8 servings
Per serving: 183 calories, 26 g carbs, 6 g protein, 222 mg sodium, 6 grams (3 g sat) fat
Diabetic exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit
Carb choices: 1 1/2

Note: If you don't want to use powdered sugar, you can find out to make fake powdered sugar elsewhere on this blog.