WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

BULGAR WHEAT PILAF

1 can (14 1/2-oz) reduced-sodium chicken (or veg) broth
1 cup bulgar wheat
1 medium-size zucchini, quarter lengthwise then slice
1 cup matchstick cut carrots
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp lemon zest

In a medium saucepan, combine the broth, wheat, zucchini, carrots, onion, oregano, and red pepper; bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer 12 to 15 minutes or until the bulgar is tender and the broth is absorbed.  Stir in the lemon peel.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings