WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Monday, January 7, 2013

AVOCADO-TACO PASTA SALAD

2 cups (raw) whole-wheat macaroni
3/4 lb lean ground beef (or turkey)
1 can (15-16 oz) kidney beans, drained
6 cups torn tettuce (bagged salad works fine)
2 medium-size tomatoes, diced
1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 cup crushed baked tortilla chips
dressing, recipe follows

Cook the macaroni according to package directions; drain.

Meanwhile, brown the ground beef, stirring to crumble, until no longer pink; drain.  Return to skillet, add the beans and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.  Set aside to cool.

Tear lettuce into bite-size pieces.  In a large bowl with a lid, combine all the ingredients except the tortilla chips.  Cover and chill for at least half an hour before serving.

To serve, toss the chips into the salad and stir until combined.

Dressing:
1 ripe avocado, chopped
1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
1/2 cup olive or canola oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 to 1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Splenda granulated
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp taco hot sauce
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Place all dressing ingredients into blender container and blend until smooth. 

Yield: Salad & Dressing serves 6 to 8.