WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

SEA SCALLOPS WITH SPINACH AND NUTS

12 sea scallops (total about 3/4 lb)
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tbsp olive or canola oil
1 lb fresh baby spinach leaves; remove stems
2 tbsp toasted walnuts
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 orange wedges

Rinse scallops and cut in half for less thickness.  Place in a shallow glass bowl and add the orange juice.  Stir to coat and set aside.

Add the olive or canola oil to a 12-inch skillet and heat over medium heat.  Add the spinach and cook until heated through or just wilted; stir often.

Push the spinach to the sides and clear the center of the skillet.  Increase heat to medium-high and place the scallops in the center of the skillet and cook 1 to 2 minutes per side.

Add the toasted walnuts and season with the salt and pepper.

Serve with an orange wedge per serving.


Yield: 4 servings