WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

LINDA'S CHOCOLATE CHIP BREAD WITH A TOUCH OF BANANA

As most of you who follow my blogs know, I have diabetes and several auto-immune diseases.  I have had a lot of my colon removed, too.  I try to eat a healthy diet but I do enjoy good food!  I had a desire for something new this morning so I went in the kitchen and came up with this.  This is a very healthy version of bread.  You will find more common ways of doing this in ( ) if you don't want to go as healthy as I did.  It really does taste good and is good for you, too.

1 bag (8-oz) sugar-free chocolate chips
1/3 cup no-sugar-added applesauce (salt-free butter)
1/3 cup canola or soybean oil
1 cup Splenda Granulated
3 eggs or an amount of egg substitute to equal 3 eggs
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour (all-purpose flour)
1/2 cup pecan meal (all-purpose flour)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup mashed ripe banana
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a 9-inch loaf pan, muffin cups, or mini-muffin cups; set aside.

In a 2-quart mixing bowl cream the applesauce, oil, and Splenda together until creamy.  Beat in the eggs.

Combine the whole-wheat flour, garbanzo bean flour, pecan meal, baking powder, and salt together.

Combine the banana, milk, and vanilla in a small bowl.

Alternately add the flour mixture and the banana mixture to the creamed mixture beating after each addition.  When well blended, pour into a 9-inch loaf pan, muffin tins or mini-muffin pans (your choice).

Bake bread/breads at 350 degrees until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  This could be a short a time as 15 minutes for minis or about an hour for a loaf.


Note: My loaf is not high because I wanted to see how the mini-muffins would turn out so I took part of my batter for those.  This bread will not be as high as regular bread made with sugar and refined flour.  However, it will be higher than this one.